Last updated: April 3rd 2018
Table compares the best forex brokers in South Africa regulated by FSB in March 2018.
Comparison of TOP 10 south african fx brokers
|Forex Broker's Name||Broker's Score||Regulation||Open Account in ZAR currency||Bonus||Minimum deposit||Trading Platform||Trading costs (Spread)||Our Review|
|9.5 / 10||FSB South Africa|
|YES in ZAR or USD||100%*||$50||MetaTrader 4||from 0.1 pip||HotForex review|
|8.8 / 10||FSB South Africa |
|No ZAR / USD only||-||$100||MetaTrader 4||from 1.7 pip|
|8.6 / 10||FSB South Africa|
|No ZAR / USD,EURO only||40%*||$100||MetaTrader 4||from 0,9 pip||AvaTrade review|
|4.||8 / 10 ||FCA United Kingdom||No ZAR / USD only||-||$200||CopyTrader™ ||from 2 pips||eToro review|
**Your capital is at risk
|7.8 / 10||yes regulated||No ZAR / USD only||-||$10||--||IQ OPTION review|
|6.||7.5 / 10||FCA United Kingdom||No ZAR / USD,EURO only||$30 FREE**||$5||MetaTrader 4|
|from 1 pip||XM review|
|7.||7 / 10||CySEC||No ZAR / USD only||-||$100||WebTrader||from 1.7 pips|
|8.||6.5 / 10||CySEC||No ZAR / USD only||-||$100||WebTrader||from 1.7 pips|
* T&C’s are valid. **Not available for traders residing in European Union.
The forex trading has been booming in South Africa since the last few years.
As more and more retail investors speculate in this online venture, no wonder that regulators need to keep an eye on this fast growing industry to prevent scam from happening.
Although we recommend you to open an account with FSB regulated forex trading companies, you should know that there are also many world renowned and trusted forex brokers who operate on this market without an south african finance regulator (Financial Services Board) oversight. It doesn’t mean these companies are bad, but they simply don’t hold a license issued by local regulators.
Four things to consider before you choose a forex trading broker in South Africa
Before you start trading forex with your hard earned cash, you must answer yourself few important questions:
- What is your past experience with currency trading ? If you are a pro trader you probably already know the best fx strategies that work well for you, and based on that you chose the best platform wisely. But if you are a newbie, you are likely to become a victim of snake oil salesmen. Although the scam is not happening with regulated forex companies often, you should never sign up with unknown company without license! There is simply no reason to do such a stupid thing.
- How much money are you going to deposit ? Did you know that you can safely play with forex demo account without any stress and risk involved? Always choose a platform that is offering you a practice demo account without time limit. Some of the top south african forex brokers featured on this website even allow you to deposit in south african rand currency, which is the best option for you since you can avoid a currency risk later, when you withdraw your money back to your bank account.
- Which currency pairs do you intend to trade ? If you plan to trade Rand against USD or GBP or EUR then we must tell you NOT all forex brokerages will allow you to do that because Rand belongs to exotic currencies and therefore there is less demand from traders around the world. Luckily, we were able to choose some, that have no problem to trade south african rand and other 45 currency pairs! Read the comparison table with the full list and choose. We suggest that you test few platforms first with virtual money and then based on your experience and overall feeling you decide where you deposit real money.
- Do you require Metatrader broker? – in case your trading strategies require you to use MT4, we have listed some of the best fx platforms that allow you to trade on Metatrader4 (MT4).
Why you should always choose an FSB regulated forex broker
“Financial Services Board” is also known as FSB and it is an independent regulatory body of South Africa since 1990. It is known as of the most reliable finance market regulatory institution in the whole African region. Its main role is to oversee country’s financial market, mainly non-banking financial services (e.g. insurance, investments, CFD trading etc.) and protect investors from possible fraud and keep south african finance environment sound. Here is the link to FSB Financial Services Board in case you want to lookup any specific FSB regulated fx broker or other type of financial services provider (“fsp”).
How to file a complaint against a forex broker with FSB regulation
Have you had any issue with an FSB regulated company? You can file a complaint through the office of FAIS OMBUD established by the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Service. Their main mission is to resolve any possible disputes between traders and financial service providers. Please visit faisombud.co.za for more info.